Sunday, November 27, 2011

Book Review: Vegan Pie in the Sky


If there’s a single food item that brings to mind Thanksgiving with the family, for me it would not be turkey. Even before abandoning my carnivorous ways, another food item reigned supreme on my family’s Thanksgiving table. Our November holiday is dominated by the pie. I recall one year, back when my grandmother was still alive and hosting the Thanksgiving dinners, there were fourteen of us circling the table; she had made 15 pies.

My grandmother’s pie crusts, of course, were made with love... and plenty of lard. So, the classic pies of my youth wouldn’t jive with my dietary decisions now, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t still enjoy some pretty amazing pies. If you want the proof, just bake any one of the pies featured in Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, and More.

Jess and I were thrilled when we first heard of the book and even more thrilled when we first put our hands on a copy. This pie cookbook is written by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. The duo have collaborated on a number of cookbooks--many of which we own, and all of which have impressed us. Jess and I have never cooked a recipe of theirs that has been a disappointment.

We baked four pies out of this book in the past week. Two of the four pies were actually the same kind--Coconut Cream--because we loved it so much the first time we made it. The Maple Pecan Pie is also amazing. Grandma used to make an amazing pecan pie, but many of my family say the Maple Pecan Pie out of Vegan Pie in the Sky was the best they’ve ever had.

It’s important to note, as well, that pie isn’t all about the filling. I’ve long believed that a pie is only as good as its crust. Vegan Pie in the Sky has the best pie crust recipe that I’ve ever used. If by some outlandish change of heart I tomorrow went back to eating a diet totally unrestricted, I would keep and use this crust recipe. The price of the cookbook is justified by the crust recipe alone.

Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, and More is a must have for any vegan with a sweet tooth or, really, anyone with a sweet tooth. The pies are some of the best we’ve ever had, vegan or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment